Saturday, April 24, 2010

The big fifteen

So, this morning's task was to go out and run a mere 15 miles.  I have heard people say, "if you can run 16 miles, you can run a marathon!" so I was very interested to see how I would do. Maybe I am closer than I think!  Yeah.......those people lie.  Just so you know, anyone on any running website, magazine, etc. that doles out running advice I have found to be, how do I put this.....full of total and complete crap.  I don't think they do it on purpose, I'm not saying that.  I just think they are so far removed from the days when they were just beginning they forget what it is like to be a worthless lump, dragging an extra 20 pounds around. 

Anyway, I am definitely NOT ready for a marathon.  I felt surprisingly good, for miles 1 - 10. Then in got western.  Pretty sure the conversation with my legs went like this for the last 5 miles.

"Hey, wait a minute. Shouldn't we be done by now?"

"Yeah. I think we should. We have NEVER gone this far. What is he thinking"

"Not a clue, man. I hope he stops soon."

"No kidding."

----15 minutes later-----
"Okay now this is just getting crazy!"

"Yeah and I have bad news for you bro, we aren't anywhere CLOSE to home"

"Maybe someone is coming out to pick us up?"

"I don't think so"

-----15 minutes later----

"What if we just quit? Can we do that?"

"I think we are almost there. Wow I hurt"

I can't repeat the conversation through the last mile or I would have to mark this blog as containing adult content.  All in all it wasn't a totally horrible experience. I guess that is something since that's what I expected.  What it means is that my training is still on track and I am moving forward toward my goal..  Look for my next post soon, "Dave's Top Ten Tips for Fat People Who Want to Start Running."

1 comment:

  1. That is wonderful! I'm so proud of you. I can't even describe how touched I was to know that I was part of what inspired your running. I wish I could still come with you, like I used to. But there is absolutely NO way I would stand a chance. I love you daddy! Keep up the hard work!
    Love,
    Your supportive daughter, Tori :)

    ReplyDelete